Payments and funding

We are given money by the Department of Health and Social Care to spend on local health services such as hospitals and community health care.

This section covers:



With the aim of being as clear and transparent as possible, we regularly publish payments we make that are over £25,000, which you can see below:

NHS Chorley and South Ribble CCG:





NHS Greater Preston CCG: 






For spending reports dating from 2013, please visit our Document Store.

To request a document in an alternate format* or if you cannot locate the document you are seeking, please contact us and we will seek to provide this. 

*Please note that CSV files may not work on some operating systems.


Primary medical care funding allocations: 

CCGs are required to report to their Local Medical Committee (LMC) how they have used their primary medical care funding allocations. By sharing of investment information, positive discussions between LMCs and CCGs locally about investment in GP services are able to take place to best support primary care and patients.

Click the following links to download this information for 2019/2020: 

Chorley and South Ribble CCG

Greater Preston CCG

 Click the following links to download this information for 2020/2021: 

Chorley and South Ribble CCG

Greater Preston CCG



Personal health budget:

Personal Health Budgets (PHBs) have been available for people with continuing healthcare needs in Lancashire since April 2014.  Since October 2014, those in receipt of continuing healthcare have had a “right to have” a PHB.

NHS England has enabled CCGs to expand the “offer” of PHBs to others with ongoing health needs, as well as those adults and children with continuing healthcare needs including the following groups:

  • Adults and Children who do not qualify for NHS Continuing Healthcare, but who have been assessed as eligible for a package of care jointly funded by health and social care.
  • Adults with learning disabilities and/or autism eligible for a jointly funded health and social care package (excluding those clients who are already in any pooled fund arrangements, where the NHS contribution to your care is held together with the social services contribution).
  • Children and young adults with education, health and care plans including those in transition between children and adult services.
  • Adults with complex health and social care needs, who are eligible for jointly funded packages of care.

Each request will be considered on a case by case basis.

PHBs offer the opportunity to work in equal partnership with the CCG about how your health and wellbeing needs can best be met, and are one way for you to have more choice and control over your healthcare and support.

You don’t have to change the healthcare and support that is working well for you, but if there’s something that isn’t working, or maybe help delivered in a different way is needed, you can change that.


To decide whether a PHB could be best for you, download the leaflet below for more information. 

For more information, see:

 You can also talk to the NHS professionals in your continuing healthcare team.


Continuing healthcare:

The CCGs are responsible for making decisions about the funding of continuing (or ongoing) healthcare treatment and support.

The sections that follow describe more about what continuing healthcare is and also explains how decisions are made about what treatment or care is funded.


What is continuing healthcare?

Continuing healthcare is free care that is given outside of hospital, which is arranged and funded by the NHS. It is only available for people who have specific healthcare needs.

Learn more by downloading:


Where is continuing healthcare provided?

NHS continuing healthcare can be provided in any setting, including a care home, hospice or the patient's home.

If someone in a care home gets this type of healthcare, it will cover their care home fees, including the cost of accommodation, personal care and healthcare costs.

If this type of healthcare is provided in the patient's home it will cover personal care and healthcare costs. It may also include support for the patient's carer.

The Choice and Equity policy provides information on the way in which the process reflects the choice and preferences of individuals but balances the need for the CCGs to commission care that is safe and effective and makes the best use of available resources.


Who is able to receive continuing healthcare?

Patients that are able to get this type of care must be assessed as having a primary health need, and they must have a complex medical condition and 'substantial and ongoing care needs'.

Not everyone with a disability or long-term condition will be able to receive this type of care.


How is it decided who can receive continuing healthcare?

An assessment is made of the patient to check that they have an appropriate primary health need.

The assessment is person centred, meaning that the patient is fully involved in the process. They are kept informed, and have their views about their own needs and support taken into account.  A patient's carer is also asked what they think.

A decision about whether someone can receive this type of care will usually be made within 28 days of an assessment being carried out.


What if it is decided that continuing healthcare cannot be funded?

If it is decided that the patient does not qualify for continuing healthcare, the local authority will be responsible for assessing their care needs and then providing appropriate social services if the patient is assessed as needing them.

If the patient does not qualify for continuing healthcare but they have other healthcare or nursing needs, they may still receive some care from the NHS.

For someone who lives in their own home, this could be provided as part of 'package of care', where some services come from the NHS and some from social services.

If the patient moves into a nursing home, the NHS may contribute towards their nursing care costs, which is called NHS-funded nursing care.



Individual healthcare:

Sometimes, a patient may request through their healthcare professional, such as their GP or family doctor, to receive a healthcare service or treatment that is not normally available on the NHS.

This could be for a treatment or medicine that is not normally funded on the NHS, or for which the CCG has a policy.

The CCG is responsible for making decisions about whether these individual healthcare requests can be funded. Like any other organisation, the NHS has limited financial resources and we have a responsibility to make sure these resources are used carefully and responsibly. 

Read more information on the process for managing individual funding requests.

To do this we have to:

  • Look at the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of any services or treatment
  • Make sure that the that the services and treatments we pay for will make a real difference to a patient's health
  • Make sure that those services are fair and ethical


How do I apply for individual healthcare?

The best way to apply for individual healthcare is to speak to your GP or family doctor, who will be able to talk your options through with you, and if needed, make a request to the CCG on your behalf.


Funding for individual healthcare requests

View the funding framework for individual healthcare requests here.

Click here to access our individual funding requests Document Store. 

For more information on funding meetings, the following information leaflet is available: