Trading Standards: Consumer Alerts
Lancashire Trading Standards have released consumer alerts for June 2020.
The alerts refer to a number of scams which have been targeted on residents in Lancashire and identify measures to protect people from scammers.
This includes information around:
and can be accessed using the links above.
- Genuine texts, calls or emails from the NHS service won’t ask you for any personal details upfront.
- The only official web address for the NHS Test and Trace service is: https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/
- Take time to check that telephone numbers, email addresses and websites are genuine.
- Fake websites and email addresses often have spelling errors or will not be a gov.uk address, if in doubt do not provide any information, and seek advice from Trading Standards or the police.
Genuine contact tracers will:
- Call you from 0300 013 5000
- Send you text messages from ‘NHS’
- Give you a unique ID number to log in to the NHS website at https://contact-tracing.phe.gov.uk/.
Contact tracers will never:
- Ask you to dial a premium rate number to speak to them (for example, those starting 09 or 087)
- Ask you to make any form of payment or purchase a product or any kind
- Ask for any details about your bank account
- Ask for your social media identities or login details, or those of your contacts
- Ask you for any passwords or PINs, or ask you to set up any passwords or PINs over the phone
- Disclose any of your personal or medical information to your contacts
- Provide medical advice on the treatment of any potential coronavirus symptoms
- Ask you to download any software to your PC or ask you to hand over control of your PC, smartphone or tablet to anyone else
- Ask you to access any website that does not belong to the government or NHS"
Anyone who has concerns that they may have been contacted by someone purporting to be from NHS Test and Trace but asking for more information than detailed above can report the matter to Action Fraud on 0300 123 2014 or go to www.actionfraud.police.uk
For advice, contact the Trading Standards Service via the Citizens Advice Consumer Helpline on 0808 223 1133.